Thursday, July 10, 2008

I must be from a different planet

I for the life of me can't understand how these young computer science majors ever get a degree. They can sure try to develop something new, but can't fix anything when it breaks.

I spent all of a hour, troubleshooting a program this week to find the issue and fix it. After I got it fixed, a support staff member (whom is going to be the one to fix these things in the future) called to have me describe the method I used to find the problem. Their comment was, "I looked at the code, and couldn't figure out where the problem was." The problem was simple to find when you limit your search to the thing that failed and only run that part of it. The error is real apparent then. The real problem was occurring for a couple of days and no one could figure it out.

Maybe it because I have spent the last 30 years doing both development and code maintenance. I really think the first thing a new developer should do is be responsible for code maintenance before they are allowed to do any code development.

I would sure like to see the addition of a class to the computer science degree be a class in how to troubleshoot code and apply a fix. It's real frustrating when I am the only member of a multiple person development team that fix programs, no matter who the original author was.

3 Comments:

Blogger TJ said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

That would be so irritating. Is it Friday yet??!!


Oh, that deleted comment was from me. . . TJ was logged in, so when i commented, it said it was from TJ. I didn't want to put words in his mouth, although i am sure he feels the same :)

8:03 PM  
Blogger EastMI-WoodChips said...

Yes it's Friday, and had to do it again today. This guy has to be lead-by-the-hand for everything he does.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home